Monday, July 15, 2013

Fitness And Food For Thought

 
The hubs and I are going through a phase of trying to revamp our diet and exercise routine.  Things had gotten a little out of control.  Too much eating out and not enough exercise lead to both of us feeling less than pleased with our bodies.
 
We recently began thinking of ways to change up our workout routine.  We both enjoy working out, he LOVES to lift weights and I LOVE to zumba, or as Stephen likes to call it "zumba, zumba, zumba, shake what your momma gave ya!"  We both workout at our local community center...but I have to say its less than motivating to me to be working out alongside the elderly population in our community...so instead I like to recruit my lady friends to come take classes with me!  Unfortunately we have both hit a fitness plateau so we decided to add our favorite past time back into our workout routine...RUNNING!  Now the hubs and I used to run quite a bit, we have both run a couple half marathons and he has run a full marathon as well.  The Twin Cities Marathon is coming up this fall and they have lots of other fun runs, a 5K, 10K, and 10 miler.  So we have decided to do the 10K (6.2 miles)...don't tell Stephen but I am totally kicking his butt with training :)
 
In addition to revamping the workouts we are doing an overhaul on our diet too.  I work a mixture of day and evening shifts, including every other weekend and Stephen works day shifts Monday-Friday.  Our crazy schedules lead to us eating many meals alone, typically meaning that we eat out instead of cooking the food we have at home.  So we decided to do a trial run of cooking up a whole bunch of food at the beginning of the week and packing it up into individual sized tupperware. 
 
Naturally I started with logging into my Pinterest account and checked out my FOOOOOOOD board.  We both love chicken as our main protein source, so I decided to make one baked chicken dish and one crock pot chicken dish.  In addition I boiled up some brown rice and roasted some broccoli and cauliflower.  I started with a trip to Costco and the grocery store to stock up on all the ingredients I needed.  We try to eat as much organic food as possible, but at a bare minimum all of our meat, produce and dairy is organic.  Costco is a great place to stock up on organic products.  I buy all of our meat and milk at Costco and try to buy as much produce there as I can, it typically is significantly cheaper than the grocery store.
 
I started with making this Hawaiian Chicken in the crockpot.
 
Crockpot! 1 cup pineapple juice 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 1/3 cup light soy sauce 2 pounds chicken breast tenderloins. Cook on low 6-8 hrs and they should just fall apart.
You can see the link to the recipe here!  The only thing I did different was make more of it.  I did a 1.5 of the recipe since I had 3 pounds of chicken set aside for this recipe.  To be honest when it was done cooking it looked nothing like the picture...it was way more runny.  I think there was just WAYYYY  too much liquid...next time I would try the same amount of liquid that the recipe calls for and still add more chicken.
 
The next thing I made was Parmesan Garlic Chicken
 
So much better than fried!!!  Melt in Your Mouth Chicken Breast, 1/2 c parmesan cheese,1 c Greek yogurt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 1/2 tsp seasoning salt 1/2 tsp pepper, spread mix over chicken breasts, bake at 375 45 mins
You can see the link to this recipe here!  Again with this recipe I did 6 chicken breasts instead of 4 like the recipe calls for.  So I 1.5'd the recipe again.  I think there was way too much mayo...got a little greasy looking in the pan...so next time I would do less mayo, maybe just what the recipe calls for and still do more meat.  I took the chicken out of the pan right away after baking and set them on paper towels so that it would absorb the grease.  The hubs says it wasn't greasy when he warmed it up for lunch today at work and that it tasted like fried chicken...AWESOME!
 
For the broccoli and cauliflower I just chopped up a head of each and put each type in separate Ziploc baggies...then added 4 tbsp of olive oil to each bag along with salt and pepper.  Then I spread them out on a baking sheet that I had covered with tin foil and baked them at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
 
Cheers to a healthier lifestyle.  BON APPETIT everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment