Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Craft-O-Rama

Hi...I'm Kirstin...and I'm a craftaholic...
 
Say it with me people...Hiiiiii Kirstin!
 
My friend Carryn and I have gotten really into making fun yarn wreaths...the ones you see on Pinterest and think...oh how cute, I could never make one of those.  But believe me people, they are a lot easier than they look.  We have I think perfected how to make these and super cheap, that way we can make more!!  Here are a few tips and tricks we have come up with...
 
  1. Instead of buying those ridiculously overpriced foam wreaths at the craft store...hit up the dollar store and buy a pool noodle with the hole in the middle.
  2. Wrap the pool noodle all the way around with packing tape...it makes it easier to slide the ribbon tightly around the noodle
  3. STOCK UP on yarn and fun little doo-dads from the clearance section at Michaels, we have found some fun beads and pins on the end caps of the bead section at Michaels.  They also have bins of clearance yarn, ribbon and trinkets in the back of the store. 
  4. Check out the dollar section at Michaels and Target.  They normally have some fun decorations for the wreath.  I have had good luck finding monogram letters in the dollar section at Michaels as well.
 
Now lets get down to it...I'll show you the goods!  This is the very first wreath I ever made!
I started with sticking a thick highlighter in both ends of the noodle and then taping with packing tape around the area where they join. 
The first time around I didn't wrap the whole thing in tape so this picture is from the second wreath!
Start with taking the end of the yarn, wrap it around the noodle and tie it in a knot.

I got a tip from a Pinterest post that said to take the big spool of yarn and wrap it around something small and easier to hold...you will be doing a lot of wrapping around...and around...and around some more!

 
Yes...I am aware the ribbon color changed but again this is from the second wreath...this photo shows about how many times to wrap the yarn around before pushing it down flush against the other yarn.  I typically just set my mini spool off to the side and use both hands to grab the top piece of yarn and shimmy them all down until they are tight and flush.

Once I hit the end of my mini spool I put a little dab of hot glue on the end to keep it all in place.  TIP:  Make sure you glue it on what will be the back side of your wreath and keep it consistent each time you glue.

Voila...after a whole lot of wrapping your wreath should look something like this.

I chose to add a second color...use the same method and just wrap small sections.

Next I laid out all of my little trinkets for my wreath and figured out where I was going to place them all.  I got all of the trinkets, feathers and glitter letter from Michaels.

I hot glued everything on the front side of my wreath.  All that for $10...hard to believe but we priced it out and like I said we got some great deals!
 
To hang the wreath just pick out a thick ribbon and wrap it around the top and tie it in a bow, get yourself a nice wreath hook or a fancy 3M hook and you are set!


NOW...
 
Typically I craft with my gal pals but lately I have gotten Stephen into the craft craze...I know wild right!  Who knew my dear husband liked to craft...I sure didn't.  In our nearly 4 years together he has never once joined me in crafting...but apparently that is going to change!  I totally love it!
I will leave you with this proof of my husband painting canvas' with us...
 
HAPPY CRAFTING!!!


1 comment: